Friday 24 February 2012

Risotto

I love risotto.  I make it once a week.  There's a myth that it's time consuming and faffy to make.  Maybe the proper way cheffy way is but I've developed a cheat's method that doesn't involve adding hot stock a ladle at a time and stirring constantly to get that starchy creamy effect.  My risotto starts off vegetarian to suit my veggie teen then I add or serve it with meat, fish or vegetables.

Risotto with Salmon



Red Onion Risotto with Aubergine



Chicken Risotto


Basic Risotto

1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
2tbsp olive oil
25g butter
150g arborio rice
2 tsp stock powder
1 glass of white wine (optional but nice)
large handful of peas and/or sweetcorn
full kettle of boiling water
150ml of cream
50g to 100g strong cheese, grated

Melt the butter and oil together in a non stick wok
Add the onion and gently soften for 5 mins
Add garlic and stir
Add rice and stir
Fry gently until the rice is well coated with oil/onion mixture and sizzling
Add wine if using
Stir until there is no liquid left.

Now here's the cheat's way.  Normally you would add a ladle full of stock at a time, stirring until it was absorbed.  Then repeat, repeat, repeat until the rice was soft.  I just add half a kettle of boiling water to the pan with the stock powder.  And stir.  Let it simmer for about 10 mins.


The pan is non stick so the rice shouldn't stick to the bottom but stir it regularly until most of the water is absorbed.  Taste the rice.  If it's still hard add more boiling water.

Add the peas/sweetcorn
Simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
Add the cream and cheese.
Stir well and serve with your chosen meat/fish or just on its own.

Rosotto is meant to be sloppy but make sure most of the water is gone before adding the cream.  I've also used yoghurt, creme fraiche and Carnation milk(!) when I had no cream.  And you can use any kind of cheese you fancy.

I always make more than I need so I have leftovers!!  It reheats well with a little water added.  But I tried a new way with leftover risotto this week. 

Risotto Cakes



100g of leftover risotto
2 eggs
dried breadcrumbs

Add 1 beaten egg to the risotto and mix well
Shape into patties
Dip patties in the second beaten egg and then dip in breadcrumbs (very messy but fun!!)
Fry gently in a little oil until golden on both sides and hot
Delicious!

I'd love to have a go at making arancini which are risotto balls with a piece of cheese in the middle.  They're also dipped in egg and breadcrumbs but then deep fried.  At present I don't have a deep fryer but maybe one day.

2 comments:

  1. A good sturdy pot makes a makeshift DFF Ali. Every so often I have a hankering for 'real' chips and my copper bottomed does the trick.

    Risotto sounds yummy btw xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno if my Aga could heat the oil to a high enough temp and keep it there. I have trouble stir frying if I've had the lid open for a while.

    Seriously considering buying a fryer if I find a good deal

    Risotto was very yummy xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. Suggestions, feedback, requests all welcome :-)