Thursday 10 May 2012

Asparagus Soup

Oops, didn't mean to wait this long before updating.  The ladies lunch went well and raised just over £100 for Breakthrough Breast Cancer.  Thank you so much :-)

It was a lot of hard work, made even more difficult having a young pup around.  For this reason I'm delaying a full opening of the supper club until the summer when she'll be more trained.

Last night I picked up some reduced asparagus in the supermarket.  I wouldn't normally waste it in soup but it was slightly wilting and it wasn't English so perfect for making soup.

Asparagus Soup




2 bunches of asparagus
2 small onions
2 tsp ghee
2 tsp flour
750ml veg stock
250ml milk

Chop onion into dice and soften in the ghee for 10 mins.
Trim ends of asparagus and chop finely.  Add to pan and cook for 5 mins.
Add the flour and stir for 1 min
Add stock and milk and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 10 mins
Blitz until smooth and creamy.

I used ghee simply because I found a tin lurking in the back of my cupboard.  I use skimmed milk in everything but it still tastes creamy.  You could add some cream if you want a cream of asparagus soup. Would be nice sprinkled with chopped chives.

The cranberry gin and blueberry vodka were ready for drinking so I strained them through a jelly bag and filled 2 clean bottles.  Since they're pure alcohol and sugar there's no need for sterilisation.  The gin has already been gifted but the vodka is still up for grabs ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. Suggestions, feedback, requests all welcome :-)