Monday 21 May 2012

Curry paste

This is the all purpose curry paste recipe I found.  All I know is that a lady called Geetha from London shared the recipe with a friend and it's been passed on and on.  I've included her original recipe but with my own tweaks.

Curry Paste

1kg onions, finely chopped
25ml oil (I used a large tablespoon of ghee)
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
4cm piece of ginger, finely chopped (I grated mine)
3-4 chillis (I used 2 tsp of dried crushed chillis)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
4 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
250ml water
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander (I used all the leaves on a growing pot)


Brown the onions in the oil/ghee until really brown (even bordering on burnt) It took about 20 mins to get to the above colour but could have been browner.


Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 2 mins.  (The fresh chillis should be added at this stage)


Add the dry spices and salt and carefully fry for 2 mins.  DO NOT BURN THE SPICES.


Add the tomatoes and water and bring to the boil.  Then simmer until you have a thick pulp.


Add the fresh coriander for the final minute of cooking.


The original recipe says now divide into portions and freeze.  The first time I made this I did that.  But I decided to get out my trusty stick blender and blitz it into a smooth paste.


Then divide into 12 portions and freeze.  I used a muffin tin.

Use 1 portion per person for each recipe straight from the freezer, no defrosting required.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. Suggestions, feedback, requests all welcome :-)